Mezcal Legendario Domingo - Espadin
Fresh and citrus flavors with a hint of minerality, followed by a mild taste of smokiness and ripe Oaxacan fruits.
- Region: San Luis del Río, Oaxaca
- Maestro Mezcalero: Familia Velasco
- Agave: Cultivated Maguey Espadín (Agave Angustifolia) matured at 8 to 9 years, grown at 900 meters above sea level
- Cooking: The agave is cooked in rustic, underground conical ovens that are ignited with Tepehuaje (Lead Tree) and sabino wood, both woods endemic to this region. Not a single tree is cut down, as all wood is gathered from fallen, dead trees.
- Crushing: Tahona mill, Chilean stone pulled by horse
- Fermentation: Natural fermentation in open pine wooden vats, indigenous yeast. Process lasts ten days, during which fresh spring water is added to the crushed agave
- Distillation: Double distillation in copper pot still
Mezcal Legendario Domingo was born in September of 2012 with the intention of being a mezcal that represents the traditions of festivals, joy and celebrations of the Mezcaleros from small towns across Mexico. Two years later, Domingo launched its first lot, an Espadin Joven from San Luis del Río produced by the Velasco family.
Why San Luis del Río? Domingo began in San Luis del Río, which is also its first entry into the United States, after developing a strong bond with the Velasco family. The mezcal from San Luis del Río tends to display less salinity and more fresh fruit than Matatlán and nearby towns, a characteristic appreciated by Founder Julián Saenger.
The name Domingo translates to Sunday in english, which is the day family and friends traditionally gather to celebrate birthdays, visit grandparents, and hold town festivals. These festivities transcend ordinary life, leaving something behind in the memory of people in these small towns of Mexico; thus, Legendario Domingo. The labels reflect traditional holiday decorations, such as papel picado (chopped paper in pattern designs), vivid colors that represent the joy that always lives in Oaxaca, and the piñata, which decorates streets, churches and any party!